Tuesday 4 December 2012

Physics-shattering miracles?

One of my favorite questions sent in after my talk on the 25th Nov @1830service was this:

Aristotle talked about a prime mover who kicked things off and left it.  I guess miracles are a sign there is an interventionist God.  But how many truly physics-shattering miracles have we seen?

I've seen a man blinded (probably by cataracts) healed by God while one of my friends was praying for them.  I've prayed with a woman incapacitated by advanced malaria serving her family with food less than 24 hours after being prayed for.  I've seen a friend walk out of his wheelchair and a huge bruise disappear on a different friend. I've heard accurate words of knowledge and seen countless people impacted physiologically and emotionally by the power of the Holy Spirit while being prayed for.

But these are all as nothing...



My faith rests on these memories to the same extent that my awareness of my wife's love for me rests on the quality of the last meal she prepared.  They're sort of related but not definitely not dependent!

One of the reasons I love this question so much is that it mentions an 'interventionist God'.  I don't worship a God who intervenes.  Let me explain.  Colossians 1:16-17 says:
For by him all things were created... ...all things were created through him and for him.  And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
I worship Jesus who is holding all things together right now.  The pixels on the screen in front of you, the beams of light entering your eyes, the muscles in your eyes helping you to focus, floor that's supporting you, the caffeine that's keeping you interested...  I worship Jesus who is holding all this together.

I worship Jesus who is holding all this together not out of some necessity to keep things going but out of an overflow of his love.  Out of a overflow of joy and vitality.

We are asked to believe that Jesus is holding all things together on the basis of his resurrection.  There was one truly physics-shattering miracle.  There was one moment to define all of history.  There was one moment to call us all to repentance under the Lordship of Christ.  There is one act in history that my whole faith rests on.  The resurrection.

No comments:

Post a Comment