Tuesday 4 December 2012

Can everything be explained without God?

I've been answering a number of questions that were sent in via text or tweet after my talk @1830service on the 25th Nov.  One of the toughest questions that was sent through that night was this:
'Outside the Bible, how can we find concrete evidence to help our friends who are looking for tangible evidence of God?  Everything I day as an example my friend explains it with science.  Even miracles, she doesn't believe in them.  Help!'

I think my blog called: 'reflections on a lunchbar talk' will help.  The conclusion the Atheist I was speaking to came to was that he needed to see Christianity working in people's lives if he was to believe it.

I hope my talk would be helpful in answering this question.  It made reference to five signs of God in the world.  They warrant a blog each (at least) but in summary they are:

1.  There is something not nothing.  This persuades me to believe in a creator God.
2.  There is something wrong.  This persuades me to believe in a moral God.
3.  There is something beautiful.  This persuades me to believe in a God who prefers us.
4.  There is something about Jesus.  If we have a God who hates evil, is powerful to do something about it and prefers us then he would do something.  In the story of Jesus, his life, death and resurrection he does do something.
5.  There is something different in the lives of Christians.  If Jesus does do something significant then there will be a noticeable difference in the lives of his followers.  This is what my Atheist friend was making reference to.

Francis Schaeffer cuts the cake very slightly differently.  He talks about the moral, epistemological and metaphysical necessity of a Christian God.  He then moves on to talk about the necessity of propositional revelation and how that is found in Jesus.  If you understand those words and fancy wrestling with some issues like that then I can't recommend highly enough the book 'He is there and he is not silent' by Francis A. Schaeffer.  In fact I've got a copy to give to the first person who asks me...

No comments:

Post a Comment