Friday 26 October 2012

Reflections on a Lunchbar talk

For those of you not familiar with a lunchbar (they're a staple of Christian Union activity for years) they're a free lunch provided by a Christian group with a talk addressing an objection that a non-Christian might have to the Christian faith.

I was speaking at one of these events yesterday and my subject was 'Freedom'.  Does Jesus want to set us free or put us in chains?  I felt like I did a good job of presenting on the subject and I might blog some of the ideas soon.

The thing that stuck out to me from this event was the Q&A session afterwards.  A few guys had come along wanting to challenge Christianity and their questions went from: 'why can you trust the Bible?' through 'how can a good God allow suffering?' into statements like 'God is a moral monster', 'the church is evil' and 'there is no evidence for Christianity - i'm a scientist and only believe things for which I have conclusive evidence.'

The outstanding impression I left with was that they didn't actually believe any of these statements.  I gently rebutted each of them and their disbelief was unwavering.

One of the guys came to a noble conclusion that the evidence he is looking for as to whether Christianity is true or not is not in the academic arguments but in the story of believers with transformed lives.  If Christianity is true it must work in transforming people into the image of Christ.

What he needs more than anything else is a Christian friend to share life with - to see living in the light of the truth of the gospel.  He doesn't need them to have the answers - just to show him a life transformed by Jesus.    

His words not mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment